Peter J. Famighetti
Peter J. Famighetti is an employment lawyer on Long Island, New York. Peter is a passionate and dedicated advocate. Peter represents clients in various forums, including the United States District Courts and New York State Courts. Throughout his career that has spanned more than a decade, Peter has served as defendants’ and plaintiffs’ counsel in single and class action employment related litigation. As plaintiff’s trial counsel, Peter won a jury trial on a First Amendment retaliation case in Federal Court. Additionally, Peter has appeared extensively before arbitration tribunals and administrative agencies, including the New York State Division of Human Rights, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and New York City’s Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings. Moreover, Peter has obtained numerous successful results for clients in other employment cases in court, arbitration, and mediation. Peter is proud to have been listed in the Super Lawyers New York Metro Magazine from 2014 through 2020. A United States District Judge has described Peter as an “excellent attorney” whose court submissions were “first rate and indicative of an attorney with a thorough understanding of how to draft papers and present arguments in an employment case.”
Prior to entering private practice, Peter served as a Deputy County Attorney at the Office of the Nassau County Attorney. As a Deputy County Attorney, he represented the County of Nassau and the County’s various departments and agencies in employment and labor related matters. Notably, Peter was involved in contract negotiations between the County and the County’s various labor unions. Subsequent to his public service, and immediately prior to founding Famighetti & Weinick, Peter was a Senior Associate at one of Long Island’s and New York City’s highly regarded employment law firms. During his years in private practice, Peter mainly represented clients in employment related matters, handling and managing a complex caseload.
Peter received his law degree from Hofstra University School of Law, and his undergraduate degree from the College of Management and School of Public Service from Long Island University, C.W. Post.
J.D., Hofstra University School of Law
Eastern District of New York
Southern District of New York
Second Circuit Court of Appeals
Suffolk County Bar Association
- Secured settlement of nearly $295,000 for client's Fourteenth Amendment due process and Section 75 case, without ever needing to file a lawsuit.
- Attorney for Troop NYC and Troop L of the New York State Police Investigators Association.
- Obtained temporary restraining order against a town threatening to demolish client’s garage storing antique cars.
- Won cross-motion to enforce terms of an oral settlement agreement and defeated opposing party’s motion to reopen the closed case.
- Negotiated a police officers return to work after being paralyzed in an off duty accident.
- Defeated union’s motion to dismiss client’s claims that union breached its duty of fair representation to him.
- Negotiated settlement of client’s disability discrimination claims for value nearly ten times client’s actual damages.
- Represented a banquet captain in claims against a famous New York City hotel alleging that hotel maintained a staffing policy which disfavored older minority employees. Defeated hotel’s numerous motions to dismiss clients claims.
- Numerous other successful outcomes achieved for his clients
When not fighting for his clients, Peter enjoys spending time with his family. He and his wife Lauren have three children and reside in Suffolk County. Peter is active with his sons’ sports teams. He coaches football and little league and serves as Vice President for his community’s youth football league.